W. Thompson Comerford Jr.
The senior partner in the firm, Tom Comerford is a committed, experienced trial attorney who knows what it takes to win your case. He brings to the firm diligence, skill, and a thorough understanding of many areas of law, including aviation, catastrophic auto accidents, medical malpractice, inadequate security, defective products, and construction accidents. He has represented hundreds of clients across the state of North Carolina, as well as other states. The results obtained for his clients are a testament to his dedication and determination.
Tom received both his undergraduate and law degrees from Wake Forest University, graduating with honors. While a law student, Tom served on the Board of Editors of the Wake Forest Law Review and was a draftsman and research assistant for the compilation of North Carolina's inaugural Pattern Jury Instructions, which have since become a fixture in courtrooms across the state.
Since 1974, Mr. Comerford has practiced law in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in North Carolina, The Fourth, Fifth and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. In addition, he has been specially admitted to practice in many different state courts all around the country for the purpose of trying civil lawsuits in those states. He has tried over 200 jury cases to verdict.
Mr. Comerford is a member of the Forsyth County Bar Association, the North Carolina Bar Association, the North Carolina State Bar, the American Bar Association and the Federal Bar Association. He is a Fellow of The American College of Trial Lawyers, a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and is also an active member of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice and The American Association for Justice. He is a Master of the Bench and member of the Board of Directors for the Joseph Branch Inn of Court, and holds the rank of an Advocate in the American Board of Trial Advocates. In addition, he is a member of the Lawyer Pilots Bar Association and a permanent member of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference.
Mr. Comerford is currently a member of the Wake Forest Law School Board of Visitors and is past Chair of that organization (Chairman, Executive Committee (2011-2012). He has served on the Wake Forest University Deacon Club Board of Directors (2005-2008), and North Carolina Aeronautical Council (Jan. 2004-June 2010). Mr. Comerford is also a past president of the Wake Forest Law Alumni Council (2001-2002). He is a recipient of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award and is listed with Best Lawyers in America, North Carolina SuperLawyers and North Carolina's Legal Elite. He is a frequent speaker at seminars dealing with trial practice and is an adjunct faculty member of the Wake Forest Law School where he teaches Advanced Trial Practice and frequently serves as a guest lecturer. Mr. Comerford has published over one hundred articles related to his areas of practice.
Mr. Comerford is a commercial rated multi-engine and instrument rated pilot, with more than 7,000 flight hours. His practice has involved dozens of aviation cases since 1974. He has handled and tried numerous aviation accident cases as diverse as the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster, commercial air crashes and general aviation accidents. In addition to aviation matters, his practice involves claims of medical negligence, product liability matters and trucking accidents, and other catastrophic injury cases.
Areas of Practice
- Aviation Accidents
- Catastrophic Auto Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Inadequate Security
- Defective Products
- Construction Accidents
- Products Liability
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- North Carolina
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- J.D. cum laude
- Law Review: Wake Forest Law Review, Board of Editors
- Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- B.A. magna cum laude
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina State Bar, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member
- American Bar Association, Member, the Litigation Section and the Aviation Law Section
- American Bar Association, Member, the Forum on Air and Space Law
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, Member
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, Member
- Joseph Branch Inn of Court, Master
- Wake Forest University and Wake Forest Law School, Past President of the Law Alumni Council
- Wake Forest University and Wake Forest Law School, Member of the Law School's Board of Visitors
- North Carolina Aeronautics Council, Member